The Central University of Punjab is committed to provide an environment that promotes diversity and respects everyone regardless of colour, caste, gender, religious belief or culture. While maintaining diversity of all kinds, it also commits to ensure protection of everyone and acts as per the mandates of the constitution of India in such matters in letter and in spirit. In order to maintain such an atmosphere, the SC/ST cell is responsible for sensitizing the campus community about the importance of diversity.
Members of the Cell
- प्रो. मोनिशा धीमान, सुक्ष्म जीवविज्ञान विभाग
Prof. Monisha Dhiman, Department of Microbiology
- डॉ. बावा सिंह, सह प्रोफेसर, दक्षिण एवं मध्य एशियाई अध्ययन विभाग
Dr. Bawa Singh, Assoc. Prof., Department of South and Central Asian Studies
- डॉ. कृष्णा चैतन्य रापल्ली, सहायक प्रोफेसर, जीव विज्ञान विभाग
Dr. Krishna Chaitanya Rapalli, Asst. Prof., Department of Zoology
- डॉ. एल.टी.ससंग गुइते, सहायक प्रोफेसर, भूगोल विभाग
Dr. L.T.Sasang Guite, Asst. Prof., Department of Geography
- डॉ. महेश कुमार मीना, सहायक प्रोफेसर, जनसंचार एवं मीडिया अध्यन विभाग
Dr. Mahesh Kumar Meena, Asst. Prof., Dept. of Mass Comm. and Media Studies
NOTIFICATION-2322; अनुसूचित जाती (एससी) /अनुसूचित जनजाति (एसटी) प्रकोष्ठ का गठन ׀/ Constitution of SC/ST Cell.
Objectives of the Cell
- To counsel and guide SC/ST students studying at CUP on various issues and to help them manage academic needs of a university life effectively.
- To ensure provisions for an environment where all SC/ST students feel safe and secure while studying at the university.
- To provide prompt counselling for any grievances arising on account of any untoward incident towards SC/ST students inside the campus.
- To provide a mechanism to redress the grievances of SC/ST students, if any
- To implement the reservation policy for SC/ST students in the University, and adhere to the guidelines of the UGC and Ministry of Education, Government of India.
- To provide support to SC/ST students on aspects of education, training and employment, as required.
- To encourage and counsel SC/ST students to apply for other educational pursuits such as various national scholarships, opportunities to study abroad through scholarships for master, doctoral, and post-doctoral programmes.
- To deal with the representations received from SC and ST candidates/students regarding their admission.
- To monitor the working of the remedial coaching scheme, if approved in the affiliated colleges and university.
Activities of the Cell
- The SC and ST students cell of the Central University of Punjab celebrated the 126th birth anniversary celebration of Baba Saheb Dr. B.R Ambedkar on April 13, 2017. Dr. Vinod Arya (Assistant Professor, Dept. of Sociology) and Dr. Vikas Rathee (Assistant Professor, South and Central Asian Studies) delivered lectures on the topic ‘Dr. B.R Ambedkar’s vision on nation building’.
- The cell organized a quiz competition on the topic related to Baba Saheb Dr. B.R Ambedkar on April 13, 2017. The first prize was won by the team of Neerudi Gopal (MA Political Sciences), Kushdeep Singh (MA Political Sciences) and Ikram Ul haq (MA Political Sciences) and second prize was won by team of Ankit Kumar (M.Ed), Ranjit Kumar (Ph.D, Env.Sciences and Technology) and Dharam Kumar (MA History)
- The SC/ST/OBC and Minorities cell of the Central University of Punjab has celebrated 127th birth anniversary of Baba Saheb Dr. B.R Ambedkar on 14th April, 2018. A lecture was delivered by Prof. (Dr.) Balwan Gautam, (Professor, Ambedkar Chair,Central University of Himachal Pradesh) on the topic ‘Life and Mission of Dr. B. R Ambedkar’.
- A Quiz competition was conducted on 13th April, 2018 for CUPB students on the theme ‘Dr. B.R Ambedkar- A Nation Builder’. Twenty six students were registered for the competition. The first prize was won by Khushdeep Singh (MA, Political Science) and Dharam Kumar (MA, History) from Department of South and Central Asian Studies; second prize was won by Pratibha Verma (LLM) and Hafiz Mohd. Ikram Ul-Haq (MA, Political Science) and third prize was won by Shishir and Sonu Gupta from Dept. of Biosciences.
Twenty-two school students (in the Class III – V) from GPS Ghudda Main and PSEB Adarsh Senior Secondary School, Nandgarh participated in a Quiz competition at Central University of Punjab, Bathinda organized by the cell on 18th April, 2018.
- The SC/ST/OBC and Minorities cell of the Central University of Punjab has celebrated the 128th birth anniversary of Baba Saheb Dr. B.R Ambedkar on 14th April, 2019. A peace walk was organized in the city campus of Central University of Punjab. The students participated in the walk holding posters with Quotes of Baba Saheb Ambedkarji on 12 April,2019.
- An awareness programme and Plantation drive Organised at GPS, Ghudda on 128th Birth Anniversary of Baba Sahib Dr. B. R. Ambedkar.
The students were also encouraged to plant saplings in their school. The research scholars of CUPB (Sheetal Dubey, Ritu Kamboj, Gursharan Kaur, Gopale, Arun Kalia, SnehLata, Gini Rani along with Master’s students) volunteered and actively participated in the awareness programme and plantation drive in the school.
Some important links
- Establishment of special cells for scheduled castes and scheduled tribes in universities and institutions deemed to be universities: https://www.ugc.ac.in/oldpdf/xplanpdf/special_cell.pdf.
- Guidelines for Reservation-Policy-of-the-Government of India. https://www.ugc.ac.in/pdfnews/4130592_Guidelines-Reservation-Policy-of-the-Government.pdf.
- Department of Social Justice and Empowerment: National Fellowship for Providing Fellowship To Scheduled Caste Students. https://socialjustice.nic.in/SchemeList/Send/29?mid=24541.
- UGC- National Fellowship for Scheduled Caste Students (NFSC). https://www.ugc.ac.in/nfsc/.
- Ministry Of Tribal Affairs, Government of India. National Fellowship Scheme for Higher Education of ST Students. https://fellowship.tribal.gov.in/
- National Fellowship for Higher Education of ST Students. https://www.ugc.ac.in/rgnfst/.
- Guidelines UGC- Scheme for award of post graduate scholarships for
- Professional courses for SC/ST candidates. https://www.ugc.ac.in/oldpdf/xplanpdf/PGScholarshipprofessionalcourse.pdf.
- Post Doctoral Fellowship to SC/ST Candidates. https://www.ugc.ac.in/pdfss/.
Constitution of Advisory Committee for monitoring the work related to implementation of reservation policy for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (SC/STs)
1. Hon’ble Vice-Chancellor- Chairman
2. Prof Anjana Munshi, Department of HGMM- Member
3. Prof Rajkumar, HoD Pharmaceutical Sciences & Natural Products- Member
4. Dr. Vinod Pathania, HoD Chemistry- Member
5. Dr. Bawa Singh, HoD SCAS- Member
6. Dr. Jaswinder Singh Bhatti Member
7. Dr. Vipan Pal Singh, Department of English- Member
8. Ms. Shweta Arora, Deputy Registrar, Liaison Officer- Member
9. Dr. Shashank Kumar
10. Dr. L.T. Sasang Guite Member
11. Dr. Ramanpreet Kaur, Department of Punjabi- Member
12. Dr. Lakhvir Kaur Lezia