Human rights are considered indispensable for the survival of human beings. Human Rights are inherent to all human beings, regardless of race, sex, nationality, ethnicity, language, religion, or any other status. It includes the right to life and liberty, freedom from slavery and torture, freedom of opinion and expression, the right to work and education, and many more. As per the Universal Declaration of Human Rights 1948, everyone is entitled to these rights without discrimination. The Constitution of India guarantees most of the human rights recognized under the international human rights instruments as Fundamental Rights. Acknowledging the importance of Human Rights as enshrined in the International and domestic Human rights instruments, the Central University of Punjab has constituted the Human Rights Cell to raise awareness among students about the concept of Human Rights and its importance in today’s society.
To inculcate consciousness about the sanctity of Human Rights amongst the students of CUPB so that they may respect, protect, fulfill and promote Human Rights.
To empower and enable them to exercise their rights and also respect and uphold the rights of others.
- To promote the culture of Human Rights.
- To Spread awareness and educate people about Human Rights
- To sensitize and enable the students to respect diversity and not discriminate against anyone.
- To organize seminars, conferences, guest lectures, awareness drives, workshops, and field visits through collaboration with various stakeholders, resource persons, and policymakers.
- To engage in community integration activities to serve the helpless and suffering.
- To encourage research in the field of human rights and conduct surveys and formulate case studies concerning issues regarding human rights of the local population.
Members of the Cell:-
- Dean Incharge Academics - Chairman
- Prof. Tarun Arora, Professor
- Dr. Puneeta Pandey, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Sesadeba Pany, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Ashwani Kumar, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Nishtha Kaushiki, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Puneet Pathak, Assistant Professor- Convener
Minutes of Meetings:-
- Minutes of Meeting held on 29th July, 2022
- Minutes of Meeting held on 29th November, 2022
- Minutes of Meeting held on 14th February, 2023
- Visit old age homes, child care institutions, Orphanage, court, and prison
- National /State Level Seminar
- Celebrations of Human Rights Day and Women’s Day
- Documentaries /Movie Screening
- Conduct of Certificate Course in Human Rights Education
- Debating on Human rights issues
- Skit and Street Play
- Poster making, Quiz and other competitions